There’s nothing we love more than an interesting story, so it comes as no surprise that our new location at 155 Main Street in Sag Harbor is rich in history, real and local lore alike, that dates all the way back to the 1700s. Today, what is known as The Stanton House was actually the location of The Hand House until 1840 when it was moved to its present location of Church Street.
Built in 1840, The Stanton House is tucked right behind the Soldiers’ Monument on the corner of Madison and Main. This two-story Greek Revival Treasure serves as a window to Sag Harbor’s past with it’s lacy gingerbread Victorian porch, delicate triangular windows, and a striking front doorway. Ironically enough, The Stanton House was originally built for David Hand’s son by Admiral Oscar Stanton’s father before Admiral Oscar Stanton took residency here. Confusing, we know.
Throughout the years, The Stanton House was home to many formidable figures and families in the evolution of our beloved village of Sag Harbor. Admiral Oscar Stanton may be the most well-known resident due to his successful naval career that aided in the opening of Japan to the west, as well as his service during the civil war. However, George Augustine Kiernan, a Sag Harbor businessman, was just as emblematic in the history of Sag Harbor as Admiral Oscar Stanton. In 1881, George Kiernan built a block of stores in the village, including a furniture store and grocery store. Not only did he own retail businesses, but he also invested a ferry service from Long Wharf to New York City, and three movie theaters including the Star on Main Street, which is known today as Sag Harbor Cinema. Later on, George Kiernan owned the first electric company in Sag Harbor and made The Stanton House the first house in Sag Harbor village to have electricity!
In 1939, The Stanton House was sold by the Kiernan Family and transitioned into a commercial building, becoming the Whaler’s Inn where you could get a filet mignon for $4.50. Over the years, our new space has been home to a beauty parlor, antique shop, The Sag Harbor Herald, real estate offices, and local lore suggests there was once an underground speak easy too.
We’re excited to be a part of The Stanton’s House next chapter, and see what history we’ll make here. Come visit us at 155 Main Street in Sag Harbor, NY!